Thursday, February 10, 2011

Assignment 1

Assignment 1

My general impression of Italy thus far is based on what I have observed and learned about Italian tradition and lifestyle. Before coming to Italy, I imagined a community completely different than my own; however, what I have realized is that, generally speaking, we are all the same. The most prominent differences that have come to my attention revolve around lifestyle and diversity of the people in Rome. On the streets in Seattle you can observe people from ten or more nationalities just by walking down the ave. In Rome I have noticed that the demographic is predominantly white (even more so than in Seattle) and the immigrants can be seen doing specific jobs only, not just strolling around. Also, in regards to demographic, I have seen no same-sex couples and very few children and teenagers. Another very different part of Italian living is the way they eat. Italians eat on the go whereas Americans usually sit down for a meal, even if its a quick one. As for the long dinners, which I really enjoy, gives me a feeling of home because we usually sit at the table for a few hours talking and enjoying one another.
As far as youth in Rome, I have yet to have any direct interaction with them yet, I have made a few observations. One aspect of Italian life that is very prominent and visible is fashion. The younger people (teenagers) seem to dress more like a mash-up of skaters/hip-hop/pop trends with flashy sneakers and sometimes baggier jeans and extravagant hair styles. However, the young adults (early to mid 20s) dress more sophisticated but sexy, very GQ if you will. And the same goes for the older demographic. The men and women dress very nicely and are very well put together and are are in a way another step higher in fashion than their 20-something counterparts. I find it very interesting. It is almost like there is a ladder. This ladder shows social status, wealth, and wisdom.
In Seattle, unless you are a professional who must dress proper for work, many adults loose interest in fashion or for many other reasons do not keep up with the latest trends. Fashion in America is primarily followed by youth, 20-somethings, or the wealthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment